Very Sl;ow

diesel1948 17:29 11 Oct 05

My computer has decent spec and a 2mb broadband connection. For some reason this morning it started acting strange and very slow. Also no pages were being displayed on internet, I have messed with it all day and it has just got worse, everything I click on ie word it takes 5 minutes to load. Now cant get on internet 1gig memory and 50gigs of space left. Problem seamed to start when I was using outlook express, I opened a strange e-mail keynet I think, nothing came up so I deleted not been able to send or receive e-mails since. Cannot even sign into msn messenger or send e-mails from hotmail. Using someones computer to post this. Any replies terrybrazier@hotmail.com cant use the e-mail addy I am registered with on this site.

jimv7 17:31 11 Oct 05

Can you do a system restore to before you opened the email.

slayerx 17:37 11 Oct 05

I would firstly recommend using Adaware as it sounds like it could be spyware If possible i wouldnt use IE and grab Firefox from click here as its much better than IE.

PC Bilbo 17:37 11 Oct 05

"Problem seamed to start when I was using outlook express, I opened a strange e-mail keynet I think, nothing came up so I deleted not been able to send or receive e-mails since"

Can you start in Safe Mode and run a system restore?

mattyc_92 17:40 11 Oct 05

Start->Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotations but note the space afte "sfc")

You will need your Windows Installation disk....

This will repair any files that are corrupt/missing.

mbp 18:04 11 Oct 05

I had noticed a sudden slowdown of my Broadband connection. My first reaction was to run MSAntispyware, then spybot, then adaware. When all were clean, I ran my cclean and rid muself of temp files etc, then I ran my Registry First Aid, and as all were clean, I ran Defrag. Rebooted and everything was as sharp and fast as before.I know it is a pain but that is the price for browsing all over.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:05 11 Oct 05

It is very inadvisable to include your email address in any posting to this forum.

diesel1948 18:09 11 Oct 05

Guys I ran system restore earlier, went back 1 day then went back to 7 october things seemed to get worse as time went on. Dont think sys restore would run now it is so slow. I will try some of your other suggestions when I get back. cheers chaps

diesel1948 11:34 12 Oct 05

Thanks for all thge advice people. I discovered one thing that helped LIME WIRE starting at boot up. I stopped it and the computer seems to start normal, my son told me he updated it sometime at the weekend. Not absolutely certain that this was the problem though because it has been running at boot up for quite some time. I have now got a tool bar that keeps coming at boot up and cant get rid of it permanently I mean. Also hundreds of things gone into my favorites that I did not put there. How can I get rid? When I right click it just says close tool bar, not delete as normal. I run spybot and nothing was found. Any ideas how to remove all this junk, pop ups appearing even though pop up blocker on.

diesel1948 11:37 12 Oct 05

Oh by the way Lop.com I think, seems to have something to do with all this junk.

sinbad1 12:07 12 Oct 05

some info on lop.com
click here also try free spyware scan
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…