Very slow 1 meg adsl...any ideas?

Midsman2005 11:59 13 Dec 05

Hello forum,

System is...Windows XP, P4 2ghz, 756 meg ram, 80gb hdd.

I have Tiscali 1 meg broadband...or at least I should do!

For the last few days it has now become quite literally dial up speed.

Webpages take ages to open and download speeds for files from sites that should be nice and quick are only coming through at 3 or 4 kbs....I actually used to get better download rates from dial up!

I have done the usual adware and virus scans and this has shown up nothing.

I suppose I could ring tiscali, but no doubt they will simply say the problem is my pc...

Any ideas what else I can try before I do actually phone them?

Thanks.

wky 12:01 13 Dec 05

sometimes internet providers have problems with their line. Best to ring them up to check.

rmcqua 12:20 13 Dec 05

Has it run at a sensible speed in the past?
Have you tried this speed test utility?
click here

Stuartli 12:33 13 Dec 05

Join the club...:-((

rawprawn 12:54 13 Dec 05

I am getting the same problems on 1 meg Tiscali, but it does seem to vary day to day.

Chegs ®™ 12:57 13 Dec 05

You beat me to it Stuartli although in fairness to Tiscali my connection has been extremely fast lately(apart from last night,it was 2.11Mbs off Tiscali test but then from 5:30 to 7:30(ish)it was fast,slow,faster,slowest ever causing my AVG to Time-out with just seconds left to go...grrrr)

Mavericke 13:12 13 Dec 05

Guys, I am with Telewest broadband and currently on the 1Mbps tariff. There are numerous occasions where the service would be offline and I think it is just normal.Think about it as the demand is far greater than supply. I wonder what would be the ratio for each Telewest cable. It could be 20:1.

Jazzy James 13:23 13 Dec 05

I'd run the speed tests 5 times over a 24hour period and post the results to tiscali.

You can also use the Bt speedtest to see if the problem is between you and the BT exchange:

ADSL Login Username : [email protected]_domain
password: password
then browse to click here and test just the BT circuit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…