Very Sick PC

JimT 08:37 25 Oct 08

I'm trying to sort out a friend's PC which has XP Pro.

The essential problem is that there is no desktop or task bar.

These are the things I've tried:

I've tried to run explorer via the task bar but I get a message about no entry point and mentions shcreatethread and shlswapi.

I attached the hard drive from the PC to my laptop via a USB and ran Malware, which took 3 hours (there seem to be millions of ie files). This found 9 problems but said it couldn't deal with 4 of them.

I copied explorer.exe from my pc to the Windows directory of the sick drive.

I put the drive back in the pc but still no desktop or taskbar - tried to run explorer but same message as above.

Tried Recovery Console with XP CD and fixboot - it said it had run fixboot successfully, but still no joy.

Tried to reinstall XP from CD but it gets stuck at 25% when checking system (tried this 3 times).

I don't want to do a format and fresh reinstall because of all that is on the drive.

Any suggestions?

ambra4 09:03 25 Oct 08

See if this help

click here

birdface 09:10 25 Oct 08

Safe mode with last good configurarion.Is there another user account that you can start with.Maybe click on the windows Icon on your computer go to run and type in sfc /scannow and see if that works,[small gap after the sfc and forward slash or it will not work.You may be prompted to enter the XP disc]If you right click in the middle of the screen,Arrange icons by.and make sure show desktop icons are ticked.If it works in safe mode open a new user account if you can with administration rights.and see if that works. Googled ,but you have probably tried all of that. click here=

ambra4 09:23 25 Oct 08

Work Around Add windows explorer short cut to the all users start up folder.

This will bring back desktop and task bar but will also open windows explorer every time you log in.

Baclk up pc files you wish to keep.

Do a full install is your best option..

Has he had a virus?

do a scan kasperssky 2009 is a good program.
+ spy ware scans
+ a registry scan for errors

Spyware Doctor
Spy Sweeper
Seek & desktroy
A-Squared-Free
Ccleaner
Glary Utillties.

Good programs

Restore point to the point before issue started then do scans with one or all of the above

If still no join back up oc full install.

Sounds like a viris has changed config files

You may get it back as said above but dont fix the back ground issue

ambra4 18:11 25 Oct 08

See if this will work, download the file and run in safe mode, stroll down to item 195 right hand

side “Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar”

click here

woodchip 18:30 25 Oct 08

First run check disc on the drive while connected to your PC. then run your AV on the Drive

kdt 21:32 25 Oct 08

ctrl alt delete will bring up the task manager.
with file new task go to kellys korner as suggested by ambra4 above scroll to 195 right hand side & download the file. then restart using the task manager shut down link then see whether you get your icons & taskbar back. i used this to sort out my son in law's pc...see if that helps. good luck.

JimT 15:16 26 Oct 08

I'm afraid none of the above worked. The "195" file tried to run but it said one of the dependencies failed and it couldn't run.

I should have mentioned that I put it back to a previous restore point, but no good.

As I said, I've tried several times to install XP over the existing bur when it checks the drive it doesn't get past 25%.

Seems there's no alternative to formatting and doing a clean install.

woodchip 15:19 26 Oct 08

Have you tried repair instead of install? it will show a OS is installed you click on what it finds then press R for repair

JimT 15:26 26 Oct 08

Woodchip

Yes, I've tried that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced