Very Real looking spoof e-mail...

Simsy 20:30 18 Sep 05

Just a warning folks...

I've just recieved a very convingcing email purporting to be from eBay, looking for me to confirm my details via a link...

Obviously anything like this is bound to be a spoof, and when hovering over the link, which appears to be a valid address the proof is revealed... In the status bar I can see the real address... WHICH ISN'T ANYTHING TO DO WITH EBAY!

I don't want to print the whole link here, for obvious reasons, but the address starts with clintmorey.com

Be careful folks.

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:31 18 Sep 05

That all the links on the email are to genuine eBay pages EXCEPT the one looking for me to confirm my details with!

Regards,

Simsy

r3v 20:35 18 Sep 05

i have recieved this email and was nearly fooled. If you look at the mesaage source the link that you have to click goes to a dodegy link, something like
click here etc etc.

Personally i would go to the paypal/ebay site to confirm such details and steer well clear of this one.

Number 7 20:39 18 Sep 05

The clintmorey.com site displays this:

Someone "hijacked" my website and used it to send
phony emails to eBay customers.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the site

I hope to be up again in a day or two.

Clint Morey

GaT7 20:56 18 Sep 05

Recently had one which went like this:

Dear eBay Member,

We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't re-update your account information.

To resolve this problem please visit the link below & re-enter your account information:

click here [which is genuine by the way, BUT hovering one's mouse over ANY part of the email gives a web address like r3v mentions. I had to type this lot out - there was no way to select/copy/paste it's contents.]

If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 24 hours, after this period your account will be terminated.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe your actions may cause financial loss or liability to you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised that you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to eBay.

Regards,
Safeharbor Department eBay, Inc
The eBay team

This is an automatic message, please do not reply.

Copyright© 1995-2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Forwarded to eBay at click here, along with the email header. Received a reply from eBay the next day confirming it was a spoof message. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…