very large windows folder?

uisquebeathus 17:22 18 Feb 06

this is something that i find rather a mystery and only recently has grown to a noticable dimension , the size of my windows folder
size of 12.5 gb with contents 16720 files and 1451 folders.
drive 24 GB cluster size 4kb
my other pc has a windows folder
size of 3.26 gb with contents 19738 files and 1301 folders
drive 24 GB cluster size 4kb
they were both set up about the same time and have all the same MS XP Pro updates, antivirus, trojan, worms, spyware etc have been checked out and run regularly,10% of drive for system restore
has anyone got any ideas on the cause or knows of some way to check out if there is something in there thats wrong or show up any possible hidden files that I cannot see even with all windows hidden files shown as they are at the moment.
I hope someone can advise me before I do the ultimate and the last thing I want to do format and reinstall

remind 17:25 18 Feb 06

You could take a look with treesize click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 18 Feb 06

If PC running OK you can delete all those files starting with $ in the windows folder they are uninstall points after updates.
click here Sequioa view will show you what is using the space.

uisquebeathus 22:34 18 Feb 06

thanks for the help
i have found, using SequoiaView, in the windows folder 6 hidden windows system files named 2, 4, 8, S, Y, O, all 1.577.688 mb in size . any ideas anyon. all created and modified on the 17th february 2006.

VoG II 22:42 18 Feb 06

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now