Very high latency intermittently on Virgin home network

Altissimus 14:50 PM 24 Sep 13

I have a Virgin cable connection linked to a Virgin superhub, with ethernet connectivity to a TP Link TL-PA411 homeplug network. The other end of this plugs into a TP Link TL-SG1005D switch, and from there by ethernet to two home PCs.

Problem is, I'm getting seriously peaky latency which is causing my connection to drop on occasion. Here's the graph from Thinkbroadband:

Question: how can I determine if this is being caused by a) my service provider (Virgin) or b) my network set up?

I normally have no issues with bandwidth through-put (getting close to the 60MB I should have) or ping response when I test on; it's just when actually using the connection (emails, VDI, online-gaming etc) it will occasionally hang for up to 30 seconds causing the connection to drop.

Any advice please?

Thanks! A.

Altissimus 14:51 PM 24 Sep 13

And, as this forum doesn't appear to like embedded URLs, HERE is the graph from Thinkbroadband:

click here

Altissimus 18:26 PM 01 Oct 13

7 days and not a single reply. Wasted my time registering on this forum...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…