Very High CPU Usage

Hearst555 16:40 08 Aug 04

Hi, I'm using a Sony Vaio RS-222 PC with AMD Athlon XP 2800+, 512MB DDR RAM, 128MB Nvidia FX5200 card and 120GB HDD. It was working fine until the past few months the CPU began to strain itself with high CPU usage. I thought it must be the CPU demanding programs I used so I tend tone down my multi-tasking ways. Still even with a few programs like MS Word alone for example the CPU still seems to overload with high CPU usage. When I look at the Windows Task Manager the main culprit seems to be the System Idle Process which tends to average around 80+. Even as I speak it goes up to 90+. Normally its very low so I assumed it must be a worm in the system. I checked it with Norton Antivirus and nothing was found. So what seems to be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

absent 17:08 08 Aug 04

Check for spyware or hijackers.

Chegs ® 17:26 08 Aug 04

System Idle Process is just that,it is telling you that 80% of the CPU is not being used. It isn't what is causing what ever problems you may be experiencing.

alan227 17:27 08 Aug 04

Take a look at this link. click here

alan227 17:27 08 Aug 04

Take a look at this link. click here

woodchip 17:34 08 Aug 04

You have too many programs running when the computer starts up. Go to Start\run and type MSCONFIG press go and check the startup tab for how many programs start with the computer

Hearst555 18:11 08 Aug 04

Thanks for the help. I'll have a look.

CurlyWhirly 18:27 08 Aug 04

The HIGHER the number is on System Idle Process the LESS work your CPU is doing and it is just there to account for the 'lost time' as the processor can't just stop working when it is not busy as this could lead to problems!
So if for example your processor was busy at 88% your System Idle Process would show 11% as these 2 figures ALWAYS add up to 99 - I know it should be 100 but you can't fit 100 into a 2 digit number i.e. 99 is the highest number that can be displayed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…