Very first basic connection question-wireless

largenellie 19:50 28 Oct 07

I have bought a Belkin N Router to connect my Tiscali internet to a phone line 40metres away. (So I can remove the internet cable that the dog chewed......)
According to the manual the Router needs to be wired directly to a computer. I am assuming that this means that the main computer will always be directly wired by cable to the internet. But I have the option of other "wireless" terminals throughout the house.
How do I connect my desktop to a phone point 40m away without cables???
I know this is a very basic question but I have little knowledge of "wifi."(Not the one that irons my shirts and takes money from my wallet!!!)

100andthirty 20:04 28 Oct 07

No, it means you must connect a computer to it to set it up (especially security) and be prepared to do so again if everything goes pear shaped. Once all is set up, all computers can connect wirelessly.

Some routers can be connected to wirelessly from the off due to very careful setting up and good instructions - the much maligned BT routers are examples

largenellie 20:10 28 Oct 07

All I want to do is connect my phone point to my computer without wires, the instructions on the box suggest that the router needs to be "hard wired" by cable and that additional terminals can "share" my connection in a wireless fashion.

I am a tiscali customer with an older modem that is connected via USB, the connection does not fit the new router.

mgmcc 09:15 29 Oct 07

<<<<I am a tiscali customer with an older modem that is connected via USB, the connection does not fit the new router.>>>>

You require a *COMBINED* "Router & ADSL Modem" which replaces your USB modem.

If you've bought a "Cable/DSL" router, then you have the wrong type of router.

Strawballs 09:43 29 Oct 07

Can you give us the model number of the router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…