Very Complicated Hard Disk Error

Sain 01:34 02 Feb 07

Okay. First, when the green chip at the back of my 80 GB Western Digital started smoking, I didn't have the right screw driver, so I kinda banged it around, hoping it would work. It didn't. I got the screwdriver and opened the back green chip (plate, for simplicity's sake) and discovered that a blacky little thing had burnt and with it, the black cloth thing, thus, the smoke. So I tried to put only the plate into the power cable and found it heating very quickly and so I determined that the problem was with the plate. So I asked around for dead 80s. No one had them. So I remove the plate of my 40GB Western Digital and put it onto my 80. It doesn't fit but I make it. SO now when I connect it, the hard disk sounds like The Harddisk Chainsaw Massacre. Horrified, I remove it. Then, stupid me, I remove the air seal or whatever that ovalish almunium type thing was at the side. I take a peep inside and replace the seal. Then I force a friend to let me borrow his working 80GB Western Digital and I try its plate on mine. The sounds (Harddisk starting sounds, the whirs and stuff) are right. I'm happy. BIOS detects it with another name though. It used to appear as WDCblahblahblah now its WDCblah-SABRE-blah. Then, right before the DMI verification thing, it tells me that the SMART compatibility thing is disabled. I ignore it. When the Windows selection comes, i select my 40GB's Windows. It takes an awfully long time to load and when it does, no 80GB. So I restart and go to BIOS nad see if I can enable htis SMART thing, but no such option. So I try setting up Windows XP on the 80 after removing the 40. In the stupe screen, it show my 80 as a single drive instead of 3, and says it can't access it. So I put the 40 back and go to Add New Hardware and stuff and the device manager. They detect my 80 as Disk instead of WDCblahblah and claim that its working fine. Well it's not. Please help. Lots of important data there, and I'm nnot rich. Please help.

PaulB2005 07:35 02 Feb 07

"Lots of important data there, and I'm nnot rich."

I presume you have no backups?

It sounds like the drive is screwed and messing with it might not have helped.

To be honest if it that important I'd stop messing and get the data professionally recovered - perhaps click here can help?

Costs a lot but if it's that importnant....

xania 09:00 02 Feb 07

I suspect that you may well have done more harm than good. Smoke means trouble - OK - but excessive noise also means trouble. So double trouble. The first may be electronic, but my fear is that the second could be physical. Bearing in mind the small size of each block of data on the HDD, fitting a 40GB plate could double the expected block sizes damaging your data physically. Even fitting another 80 GB plate, from a different manufacturer or model could have an impact depending uipon where cylinder 0 starts. So, in fact, there's no guarantee that even a professional organisation can recapture the data. You can only hope, but you must tell them everything so that they know what they are letting themselves in for.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:21 02 Feb 07

Professional orgs charge well over £1000 to recover info. I cannot emphasise how important EXTERNAL backups are. Your disk sounds totally rogered.

G

Sain 11:20 02 Feb 07

Interesting, all the bad news. Is there no other way? Can the SMART compatibility thing be enabled?

PaulB2005 12:41 02 Feb 07

A Hard drive is either SMART compatible or not.

All it does it run a quick test on boot up (and various other times i think) and report the results to the motherboard. IF your motherboard is SMART enabled (which it doesn't look like it is) it will be able to read and interpret the results.

I don't think its any use to you now....

xania 12:43 02 Feb 07

SMART won't help. It only alerts you that a working HHD is about to fail. You're well beyond that stage now. Sorry, but you've already missed the boat if you don't have backup as I pretty certain you've physically damaged your HHD to the extent that even the professionals won't be able to guarantee full recovery.

Sain 13:04 02 Feb 07

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. One last thing though. What was the silver sticker thing or seal on the side of my harddisk for? Does removing it affect anyhting? I love all of you.

PaulB2005 13:08 02 Feb 07

Is this a wind up. I've just re-read the OP and it reads like a catalogue of all the wrong things to do...

"I didn't have the right screw driver, so I kinda banged it around, hoping it would work."

"So I tried to put only the plate into the power cable and found it heating very quickly"

"I remove the plate of my 40GB Western Digital and put it onto my 80. It doesn't fit but I make it."

"I remove the air seal or whatever that ovalish almunium type thing was at the side."

"I force a friend to let me borrow his working 80GB Western Digital"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:51 02 Feb 07

Wind Up?????

I don't think so, there alot of people who start something they are not competent at for example Watch DIY SOS on BBC1.

Sain

Now the drive powers up and is recognised in the BIOS it is recoverable to some extent.

Did you set the drive as a slave drive? If set as master then this could be why windows cannot see it?

Sain 14:43 02 Feb 07

Thanks for the compassion Fruit Bat. Trust me, I've tried everything that I could possibly have tried except for removing the inner disks and transferring them to another harddisk, which I will as the final act of desperation. I haven't given up hope because BIOS reads it, and so does the Device Manager in Windows, if only as Disk, instead of WDC............. I have loads of stuff in there and I want it back. But otherwise, I have, to a small extent, realized the horribility of the situation.

PaulB2005
Wind Up????? Is this a wind up

I don't even know what that means

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…