Very Basic Network Info Reqd

The Paul 23:28 19 Oct 03

I want to network my desktop with my laptop. I have searched the Device Manager of each system and found (a) desktop has Sis 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and (b) laptop has Xircom 10/100 in place.

Are these sufficient to allow me to set up a network between the two systems? If so what else do I need and if not what should I do? Cheers. Paul

Chegs ® 23:42 19 Oct 03

Setting up a network between all operating systems and all types of puter has been covered in PCA Helproom many times.A search of previous posts will give you all the info you require(as you haven't stated which OS your machines run)

The Paul 23:45 19 Oct 03

I did do a search but my question is based on pure simple ignorance. Will the two items I have mentioned allow me to set up a network or will I need something else. I really know nothing about networks and dont know where to begin.

The Paul 23:55 19 Oct 03

The desktop runs XP Pro and the laptop has WinME.

Chegs ® 00:00 20 Oct 03

The items you refer to ARE networking components.You will also need a cable called CAT5 "crossover" network cable.These are available in numerous lengths.Install the adapters and run the software that comes with them. Then run the networking wizard in Windows on both machines. If one machine has Windows XP it will offer to make a floppy disk which you can use to set up the network on the other machine.

Make sure both machines have the same workgroup name - by default Windows will offer MSHOME as the name - and that both machines have unique names on the network, any name will do, as long as they're different.Then you set the IP address on each machine to

PC/1.........192.168.01
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

PC/2.........192.168.02
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Set the "WORKGROUP" to same name(MSHOME,etc)

Enable sharing of files/folders(To suit you) and thats basically it(I have possibly missed something,but as stated above this info has been covered in great depth many times before)

Chegs ® 00:01 20 Oct 03
  The Paul 00:03 20 Oct 03

I'll do exactly as you say and see how i go from there.

Thanks for your input. Fingers crossed. Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…