vertical lines then blank screen

im looking at my daughters pc the problem is
when booting up,during the process of loading the screen has vertical lines about an inch wide spread evenly every couple of inches,then the screen goes black before launching windows.
I can get into safe mode,and have tried a system restore which returned the pc to an earlier time pre the current problem,but still getting the same issue.
any ideas?

crosstrainer 15:54 27 Jul 07

System spec / graphics card? Off the top of my head I'd say that you had either a loose card, or driver corruption.

Post back with more info about your system. You can use this to determine what you have in the box.

click here

i think it could be driver corruption,she installed a usb tv device plus deleted an old analogue card medion7134?,then uninstalled the usb tv device.
its a medion pc about 4 years old ,intel pentium 4,graphics mx440? xp service pack 2 fully up to date

its like its running but the graphics/monitor isnt kicking in? if that makes sense

johndrew 16:10 27 Jul 07

It may not be the same thing, but I had this once and it turned out that both my TV tuner card and memory modules needed re-seating. Incorrect seating was causing memory corruption on the video somehow; I`m not techie enough to be more precise.

crosstrainer 16:13 27 Jul 07

driver issues to me, remove the display drivers from control panel, and the graphics card from device manager, re-boot and reinstall a clean copy of the drivers.

It wouldn't hurt to check card seatings though, especially if things have been added and removed.

thanks both
the graphic card is nvidia geforce mx440 with AGP8X

can anything be done in safemode?

crosstrainer 16:29 27 Jul 07

a repair, but you can uninstall the old drivers from there, might not be a bad move. Make sure you have the newest available downloaded first.

It's a very old card agp being old hat now I'm afraid, but it's worth a try.

thanks for help
I had to uninstall the card in safemode,however this alone with new driver didnt work.
I reinstalled the 7134 tuner driver to the medion folder,re installed the graphics driver and everything back to normal
kids eh!
thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…