Vertical Lines On Computer Monitor

MeredithWilliams 04:55 20 Dec 14

About a month ago, my laptop monitor started to have random lines running vertically on the screen. Within minutes, the entire screen was covered with the lines and I was unable to see anything on my monitor aside from the lines. They would change color as well. I've been connecting my laptop to an external monitor in order to use my computer and it works perfectly fine. The lines on my computer no longer change color, the screen is mainly grey with lines. About 2 weeks ago, my monitor all of a sudden started to work again 100% perfectly fine. This lasted about 48 hours before the screen turned to all lines again. At this very moment, my screen is working again as well. About 5 minutes ago, it just suddenly started working. I imagine that in about 48 hours or so, the screen will turn to lines again.

I am able to hook the computer up to an external monitor (I've been using a TV) so it must not be a problem with the motherboard. I'm not sure what the problem could be and I have no idea how to go about diagnosing the issue. I've Googled the problem a lot of different time and the results just seem to confuse me. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? Do I need a new cable that is connecting the monitor to my actual laptop? Do the wires just need to be wiggled a bit? Again, this problem first started very randomly. I was watching Netflix and it just suddenly happened out of nowhere.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and it is roughly 6 years old. Please help. I don't have the money for a new computer and I don't want to permanently take over the TV in order to use the computer.

rdave13 08:18 20 Dec 14

If it's ok on an external monitor it could be a bad connection/cable from motherboard to LCD. You would need to search how to get to this cable. It would be too fiddly for me to do it as it's a laptop so worth thinking of getting it repaired or if you are confident of opening up a laptop then have a go.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:18 20 Dec 14

Agree certainly sounds like a connection ribbon problem as fault clears and not on external screen.

CAble

Video of how to replace

Instructions with pictures

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:18 20 Dec 14

Agree certainly sounds like a connection ribbon problem as fault clears and not on external screen.

CAble

Video of how to replace

Instructions with pictures

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced