Verifying DMI data pool

smiffyrebel22 22:58 06 Mar 08

I have a problem when first booting my PC it POSTs and gets as far as Verifying DMI data pool, then after about 15 seconds the PC reboots and stops at the message windows did not shut down properly and gives me various choices of booting, Safe Mode all choices, Last known good configuration, and boot normally, if I select boot normally the PC loads Windows XP Pro and runs fine. I am therefore wondering whether this is a Hardrive problem and it is not reaching full speed in time for the first bootup but is OK for the re-boot. Any suggestions would be welcome
My Setup is
A Gigabyte GA-KAVT800 Pro Motherboard
2 Gb Crucial memory
Radion X1650 AGP Graphics Card
Sound Blaster Sound Card
1 x 80 Gb IDE Harddrive (System)
1 x 120 Gb SATA Harddrive (Docouments)
1 x 250 Gb SATA Harddrive (Backups)
1 x DVD Rom
1 x DVDRW
750 watt PSU

Fried~Chips 23:20 06 Mar 08

Corrupt boot files on the computer.
Settings on the hard disk drive are not correct eg jumper.
FDD or a CD drive problem
Boot devices not set properly in BIOS.
Bad Connection on cable/s.
Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

Peronsally never been a big fan of RAID array.

How long has it been running with no problems ?

smiffyrebel22 07:46 08 Mar 08

Fried Chips, Thanks for the replyThe Problem started after I installed the new graphics card and PSU. Also if I go into the BIOS setings without changing anything and then exit from the BIOS setting the PC boots fine. is there a boot up tool that I can load that will monitor and record the Boot up process

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 08 Mar 08

As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…