verifying authentic online retailers

herc182 11:22 10 Feb 05

Is there a website that rates/verifies how trustworthy online sites are to purchase from?
ie if i put a search in google and want to buy something from a website that isnt recognised, is there somewhere that validates them? to make sure they are scamming me?

furthermore, things such as paid online surveys. is there somewhere that checks if they are legit?

thanks

SANTOS7 11:27 10 Feb 05

Which site are you particularly wanting to buy from

SANTOS7 11:34 10 Feb 05

click here this may help.........

Salinger 12:08 10 Feb 05

Another one - click here

SANTOS7 12:12 10 Feb 05

Nice link Salinger, might have good look round meself...........

George Smiley 12:52 10 Feb 05

As well as checking out website credentials you can also do a little bit of homework on the companies running websites in minutes.

If a limited company as most credible mail order traders seem to be these days, it will be registered at Companies House click here

Their website can give you the basics on a company free.

If suspicious of a company but really need to get their product you could always ask them for their VAT number too, if registered. You can ring your local VAT Office (Customs and Excise in the phone book) and give them the VAT number quoted and company name and they can confirm if the entry is valid.

herc182 16:05 10 Feb 05

will have a look around on those sites.
Good advice george.

There was one website i went onto (a sponsered link through google) which pays for doing surveys.
click here. havent had a full browse through it yet since i am at work but seems too good to be true.
i already participate in "Ciao" (which pays for you to write reviews on products) and "trendscan" (which sends you surveys to do) all of which pay very little.

but there are always websites i am wary of giving details to so some verification is needed.

thanks

any other links welcomed

herc182 16:38 10 Feb 05

click here

is this really too good to be true?

Diemmess 16:40 10 Feb 05

"If like that, it probably is"

The big names have a reputation to preserve. With less known names I prefer to deal with personally recommended firms, or at least those who have a normal phone and an address if the going gets tough.

fuzzyone 16:41 10 Feb 05

herc182,

unfortunately, when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Salinger 16:43 10 Feb 05

Seems weird that YOU have to pay THEM before you can take part! I reckon they are the ones who will make money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…