Venturing into VPN

michael1965 13:23 27 Feb 14

Hi,

Currently we have a BT Business Hub which is connected to a BT Switch to which are connected a selection of laptops and printers, creating an office network with internet access.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of changing the BT router to one with adsl and 3g failover so that there will be a continuous service. Now I'm looking into setting up a VPN.

So, here's my question:

Based on the assumption that we're still getting our broadband from BT through an ADSL, and we'll be paying for an additional 3g dongle and contract, and that we're happy to change router, and I choose to have an adsl router with 3g failover and a VPN; in your opinion, what are the best hardware/software configurations - and should I go for PPTP, L2TP, or SLL?

I want to do it right, so I've come to you guys.

Thanks

muralietharant 10:58 02 Mar 14

Information here may be useful to you.

click here

threatspike 18:39 19 Mar 14

Hi Michael,

Take a look at our site: click here you were to replace your existing router with one from Cisco (e.g. Cisco 880 with 3G backup) then you could connect it to our service or any other which supports IPSec. There is a guide here that explains how this might be done: click here

Many other routers / firewalls (e.g. Juniper Netscreen) support IPSec VPNs. IPSec is the best industry standard - PPTP uses weak encryption and L2TP must be combined with an encryption layer to be secure.

Once you have the VPN setup you will be able to connect into any of the machines behind the router, providing a neat remote access solution.

Let me know if you are interested in setting something up.

Adam Blake

If

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac