VDU not displaying?

mattyc_92 10:19 27 Jun 05

Hi, I have had a phone call from my cousin the other day about her system not working. She brought it over yesterday, and the system turns on and the drives all light up (as they should), but the indicator lights at the front of the machine are "static" and the VDU wont show anything. I have tried my VDU, but it is the same. I have reset the BIOS and checked ALL the connections (internal and external), but nothing is wrong.

I am starting to think that either the Motherboard has died or the Graphics Card has. Anyone now how to check which one it is (to save money and time).

As normal, thanks in advance.

mattyc_92 10:22 27 Jun 05

I have just tried to open one of the DVD drives, and they wont open (like they haven't got any power). But the lights do light up when I turn the system.... This is getting more and more confusing by the minute... lol

dan11 10:38 27 Jun 05

I would pull all the IDE cables from the drives, pull out the floppy cable. Take all the pci cards out. Leave the graphics card in ( agp or pci? ). Don't plug in the key board or mouse.

Just to see if any of those are causing problems. If the vdu fires up, it should show the bios, with errors.

If not re-seat the graphics card. Has it also got onboard vga?, some motherboards do.

mattyc_92 10:45 27 Jun 05

thanks for the reply

The garphics card is a AGP

I don't know what is "on-board" the motherboard as this machine was brought (not custom built) and doesn't have any manuals.

I will try what you have suggested.

mattyc_92 10:49 27 Jun 05

I ahev tried that (the system is right infront of me, so it doesn't take long), but it is just the same as before.... The VDU doesn't show anything, and the DVD drives are now opening.

Any other ideas?

mattyc_92 10:53 27 Jun 05

ust tried "re-sitting" the Graohics card, but that hasn't done anything either (but theDVD drives are now opening and closing when I press the eject button on them, so it's a start)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 27 Jun 05

Looking like graphics card is US can you borrow one to try?

mattyc_92 11:17 27 Jun 05

I can't really borrow a graphics card and I haven't got one spare.

I am sure it is either the MotherBoard or the Graphics Card (I am with you Fruit Bat /\0/\, I also think it is more than likely the Graphics card). If only I had my old pc still to disassemble... :(

dan11 13:10 27 Jun 05

You can tell if it has on-board graphics, as well. On the I\O shield, at the back, below the ps2 connectors and probably above the sound connectors. Has it got a vertical vga connector? If yes, connect the monitor to this.

If not, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, try to borrow one. Or you could put in a pci graphics card, if you have one.

mattyc_92 13:18 27 Jun 05

Never thought of that... No, it hasn't got another connector for the VDU.... So, no, not built-in (apart from the sound card though)

retep888 13:30 27 Jun 05

PSU?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…