VBA query

Les 12:26 15 May 07

I have a problem with VBA in Excel 2003. For some reason, probably something I did but do not remember, the Visual Basic Editor is not behaving like it used to do.

I did used to have the Projects window in the left top corner, the Properties Window beneath it. The main window holding either the Userform View or Code View occupying the remaining space. Normally you can toggle between Userform and Code views and it appears to use the same window – now it uses another window and obscures the Properies and Project Window.

I’ve searched the help pages, books and have found no way of restoring the original (normal?) condition. Does anyone know how to do this. I have reinstalled Office but to no avail. Is there a file holding the info for the set up which has, in some way got altered but does not erase when uninstalling Office? Help appreciated in this.

silverous 16:59 15 May 07

It's a longshot and make sure you back up the registry key beforehand but this works in Excel 2000.

In registry, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\6.0\Common

Under there you should see a key called "Dock"
This appears to store the locations of the docked windows.

Delete it.

Should reset everything. Not sure if Excel 2003 uses a later version of VBA so may not be the correct key.

Worth a go ?

Les 17:16 15 May 07

No luck I'm afraid - but thanks for the try.

silverous 17:28 15 May 07

What happened? Couldn't find the key? Didn't make a difference?

You need to ensure that all Excel windows are closed when you are deleting - otherwise when you close it it writes back the positions.

Les 18:18 15 May 07

No, Excel wasn't loaded when I used regedit. I found the key and deleted it. Rebooted and tried VBA but it was still the same.

I'll have a look to see if Dock is still there - I wonder if, like a virus, System Restore would restore it?

More anon.

Les 18:32 15 May 07

Just repeated the process - deleted Dock, ran Excel immediately afterwards, VBA just the same. Close Excel and ran Regedit again - Dock was back - clearly Excel just puts it back into the registry.

Whatever I did (and I haven't a clue what it was!) it must be reversible - if only I knew what did it in the first place.

As I said I uninstalled Excel before reinstalling it - I would have thought that the whole of the program(s) would have been uninstalled by their uninstaller. Perhaps I'm wrong - would it also remove references to the Excel program in the registry?

Les 11:35 16 May 07

I have resolved this problem by restoring an image of my C drive made a month ago. Fortunately my data is on another drive. VBA now works as it did before leaving me wondering what the heck I did to upset the apple cart in the first place.

There must be some who wonder about creating an image of their disk - take heed, I'm glad I did!!

Thanks for you reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…