VB help

Elrond 18:50 10 Jun 03

I have windows XP and when I create a program in VB the buttons I put on my form aren't like the rounded XP type but the old win98 and 2000(square) type. Does anyone know how I can make buttons XP style. The actual program form opens XP style but not the buttons. Thanks for your time.

Taran 19:25 10 Jun 03

You have a few choices. You can write your program using the standard buttons and include a manifest file with it. This will persuade Windows XP to apply its buttons and toolbars to your program. A manifest file is an XML document with the extension of ".manifest"

Example code of a manifest file is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">

<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Windows.ProgramName" processorArchitecture="x86" type="win32" version=""/>

<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="" language="*" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"/>

If this seems complex, that's because it can be. It also only works on XP systems; other versions of Windows will display the default Win98 style buttons and toolbars.

Your other options are to design your own custom graphics, but this can entail a lot of work since you'll need every graphic in all states (mouse over, mouse down, static and so on) or to download and use an existing library, and I don't know of a free one for you. Sorry.

click here

click here

Also try Google with the following search criteria;

"visual basic"+"xp"+"button"

There are some very nice XP add on libraries, but as I've said, I don't know of a free one and (bizarrely) the best one I've seen yet is for Delphi, not VB.

Hope this helps.

Elrond 19:41 10 Jun 03

Cheers Taran, I'll have a look around. I'm suprised that VB doesn't actually recognise the OS and adjust to it.

Cesar 12:41 11 Jun 03

If you are using VB (Professional Edition) you should have Sheridan Software installed with VB which will give you Rounded Corners, Bevels and 3- D effects for your command Buttons

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…