varries download speeds why?

LANDCRUISER 16:44 24 Feb 09

i using aol for the internet but recently i been moniting the speeds with broadband max co.uk & the speed have varried from 775 to 6070 download & upload from 299 to 355 why? ive contacted aol & they tell me i should get up to 8megs,what can i do to sort this out any comments welcomed,i using a netgear modem router adsl2+ with-4 port 10/100 mbps switch DG834

Tech Guy 19:23 24 Feb 09

Depends on how busy the server is that is performing the test, the route it takes etc.

I have found that these "speed test sites" are only a speed at the current moment, of that server.

Use another test site and you get different results.

LANDCRUISER 16:58 25 Feb 09

hi tech guy sorry not getting back to you earlier was having problems on aol getting to my postings,what other sites do you recommend,surely the speeds should not be so far apart,i did some test one after a minute & they were completly different

Tech Guy 18:57 25 Feb 09

There are loads of reasons they can be different.

The easiest way to find out the speed of your BB is log into your router and see what it is syncing at. Your true BB speed should be around 80% - 85% of the sync ( the reduction allows for the overhead used by TCP/IP).

You you think the connection is slower you have a problem: p2p software, spyware etc.

LANDCRUISER 21:39 25 Feb 09

where do you find sync & what is p2p & what does it do tech guy,i have no spyware using norton 360 spybot,adaware

Tech Guy 22:21 25 Feb 09

Sorry LANDCRUISER with the detail in your question I made some assumptions.

To find your sync you would have to log into your router and find your synchronization rate prob listed in the main screen of your router page. Normaly you would have to enter the IP address of your router: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and the enter the username and password. Then goto the main page - your sync speed is the one named: DownStream Connection Speed, Sync or similar.

p2p is an acronym for "peer to peer", which is where you download from sites like Kazaa, emule and torrents etc......If you don't select the correct options the software starts at you computer startup and uses your "shared folder" as a file server - thus giving you slower connection.

Find your router manual, should tell you how log into it there.

Tech Guy 22:25 25 Feb 09

Sorry LANDCRUISER with the detail in your question I made some assumptions.

To find your sync you would have to log into your router and find your synchronization rate prob listed in the main screen of your router page. Normaly you would have to enter the IP address of your router: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and the enter the username and password. Then goto the main page - your sync speed is the one named: DownStream Connection Speed, Sync or similar.

p2p is an acronym for "peer to peer", which is where you download from sites like Kazaa, emule and torrents etc......If you don't select the correct options the software starts at you computer startup and uses your "shared folder" as a file server - thus giving you slower connection.

Find your router manual, should tell you how log into it.

Tech Guy 22:27 25 Feb 09

I don't know what happened here.

Too much wine perhaps?

LANDCRUISER 23:55 25 Feb 09

i know how to log into netgear wil have a look later,a glass of wine will go nicely with my cheese & biscult

Tech Guy 11:47 26 Feb 09

To log into a netgear the IP address is normaly, type this in where you'd enter a web address:

Username: admin
Password: admin or password

LANDCRUISER 20:09 27 Feb 09

had a look into netgear & the reading showing here are 7616 down & 448 up im not getting anyware near that,i just taken a reading with broadband max & its showing 1036 down & 343 up,any ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…