Various program icons have become generic

Florio 20:16 07 Jun 15

Following a Skype update yesterday, some of my desktop and taskbar (also Start Menu) icons immediately disappeared, only to be replaced with standard Windows icons. This involved mostly Microsoft and Adobe programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat, but also Google Earth and QuickTime Player.

I carried out a Icon cache rebuild, but this did not restore the original icons, resulting instead in standard .exe icons or blank (i.e. white) icons. When I tried to change the icon for these programs, I got messages similar to this one (for Adobe Reader): Windows cannot find file %SystemRoot%\Installer{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}\SC_Reader.ico.

Since then I've tried several system restores, and while these restored my icons, Skype was no longer working. I uninstalled Skype (which was a battle in itself!) and reinstalled the latest version (I'd carried out several system restores), but the icon problem has returned. The generic icons DO open the programs without problems, but I cannot easily distinguish between the various Microsoft Office applications and Adobe programs.

Does anyone know what to do? I've seen on the internet that various people have had the same problem, but I have yet to read a working solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017