Variable cpu clock speed?

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:05 14 Dec 04

First system
Asus A7N8X deluxe m/b, Athlon xp2700+, 1gb pc2700 ram, Radeon 9700pro, XP home (sp2).

Strange problem - I've noticed in some programs which report cpu clock speed, that mine seem to vary. e.g futuremark, between 1.9ghz and 2.2ghz (on refreshing the program) and on 'tweak-xp' it varies between 1.6ghz and 2.3 ghz on hitting the refresh button. Until recently they always reported the correct speed.
On WCPUID it reports the correct speed (2.171 ghz)
The only reason I am concerned is that my pc clock has started behaving very erratically - gaining up to 30 minute in 4 hours. I don't know if this is connected?

Any ideas please?

THE TERMINATOR 00:29 15 Dec 04

Next time you boot your system up go into BIOS and check the time settings. If they are advancing faster than normal this could explain the clock gaining time in Windows. You could try flashing your BIOS, but if this makes no difference then your mobo could be on it's way out....TT

Arthur Scrimshaw 17:33 15 Dec 04

I was hoping it might be something else but I suspect you are right. ho hum.

Rayuk 19:26 15 Dec 04

I think you may find its the battery that needs changing.
I know its a recent motherboard but there were a bad batch that shipped out with faulty batteries.

Rayuk 17:21 16 Dec 04

Misread the post losing time could have been the battery, gaining not so sure.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:45 19 Dec 04

For the past 4 days everything seems to have settled down - clock is spot on etc, so I'll mark it resolved if not understood. Thanks to everyone who posted replies (or nearly did!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…