Variable Bit Rate

Daz35 12:48 17 May 04

Does anyone know anything about VBR? I've noticed quite a few mp3's seem to have this recently and I'm not quite sure why the bit rate is variable and not fixed. Is it a quality thing? I've converted a few to fixed rate and it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference to quality or sound.

Old Shep 15:47 17 May 04

Pick the bones out of this from Microsoft;
Variable bit rate (VBR) mode means a lower average bit rate and file size are needed to for optimal sound quality. While some portions of a track may contain a lot of data and be harder to compress, other portions contain relatively little and require fewer bits. Quality is optimized by detecting which sections are most difficult and allocating more bits where they re needed most. VBR can be applied to both WMA9 and WMA9 Pro. WMA 9 Lossless is always VBR. For low bit rate streaming and devices such as CD and DVD players, a peak-constrained mode can be used

Old Shep 15:50 17 May 04
  Daz35 23:17 17 May 04

Thanks for the info and the link. I understand the basic principal now. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…