Vanishing .pst file for Outlook

Rockarch 15:35 12 Oct 09

A very curious thing happened this morning that I'm hoping someone can shed light on.

One trying to start outlook (full version but 2000 edition) the pc couldn't find the .pst file. I went looking in the correct folder and it had completely vanished wheras it was there on friday.The archive had also vanished.

I havn't made any changes to the pc at all - can anyone suggest what might have caused this??

I have since restored the file from the backup but want to know if I might have some kind of different issue eg maybe a virus problem.
I am running Norton AV 2009 and the pc is used only for boring work applications.

Any ideas?

I am Spartacus 16:03 12 Oct 09

Is the file in the recycle bin?

Do any of the log files for Norton indicate a problem with Outlook?

Rockarch 22:04 12 Oct 09

No - its not in the recycle bin

Will take a look at the Norton logs

Forgot to say its running XP home

Rockarch 12:48 14 Oct 09

Sorry for taking so long to come back.
Looking in the Norton History there is nothing there.

It becomes more curious because it appears that a number of files all in:
Docs&Settings/User/Local settings/application data/Microsoft/
have gone missing eg the Outlook archive, the messenger sharing files.
In the full backup I did last week (with Acronis True Image) there are various files in these microsoft subfolders that are all no longer there but havn't been manually deleted.

ANy ideas how I can find out what might have happened and prevent it in the future

I am Spartacus 20:41 14 Oct 09

I've not much idea but a few suggestions. Try running Anti-Malware/Spyware e.g. Malwarebytes and/or Spybot Search & Destroy.

Could possibly be a corrupt profile as the files were in your Documents & Settings folder click here.

Failing hard disk possibly but unlikely. You could try running a disk test tool from the drive manufacturer just to be sure.

MAT ALAN 20:51 14 Oct 09

click here
might help...

Rockarch 21:01 14 Oct 09

Thanks for the suggestions

I searched for the .pst file when first noticed it was missing but it was nowhere on the C drive. Weird thing is the archive .pst file was also missing.

Corrupt profile sounds likely as various things affected.

It is an old pc so it is possible that the hard disk is on its way out so I'll check that out too.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced