Vanishing Outlook Express e-mails???

Tinkey Winkey 21:00 01 May 03

Booted up my PC this morning to find that EVERYTHING in Outlook Express Local Folders had completely vanished:-In box ,Out box, Sent Items Drafts,the lot gone !? 12 months worth of business & personal correspondence!*x@+x*@#!!!!!! Tried all of the available System Restore Points unsucessfully as apparently no changes had been made dispite my installing 4 programs in the last 2 weeks with specially created resore points on top of the automated restore points.Looked in Norton Uneraze Wizard to see if it had all been deleted by accident somehow - nothing?Ran Norton Anti-virus -no bugs.It's as if OE has been reset ?Could someone have done this maliciously whilst I was online?What the **#@** is going on !!?????????

Tinkey Winkey 20:48 02 May 03

Anyone got any ideas?

Ironman556 21:12 02 May 03

Do a search for "outlook express" from the start menu, it should turn up somthing like "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{letters & numbers go here}\Microsoft\Outlook Express". All your emails, deleted items etc etc should be stored there. If they are, then copy them to another folder, do either a re-install of Internet Explorer (Outlook express should be part of Internet Explorer), or a Repair. Then paste the files back to the same location.

You could also try another program which will import the emails from OE if they're there. I know MS Outlook as part of MS office will do it, but I don't know which free programs will.

Ironman

Ironman556 21:16 02 May 03

The file extensions should be .dbx and .avx

DieSse 21:19 02 May 03

Pehaps your view has changed. Go to View - Current View and select "All messages"

Tinkey Winkey 21:47 02 May 03

Ironman556, thanks for your response.The folder you described above is empty too !

Tinkey Winkey 21:59 02 May 03

DieSse,"All messages" is selected.Thanks.

DieSse 22:28 02 May 03

Try doing a search for inbox.dbx If you find it, tell us which folder it's in, and what size it is. If you do find it, I suggest you don'r touch it unless you're sure what you're doing (no offence intended!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…