vanishing norton

nathan gaskell 15:25 31 May 04

switched on one morning to find that my norton security has disabled itself. i cant reboot it coz i need to "remove program" but cant do that either, also i cant log on to hotmail, log in .net, and get reply saying "not authorised for this page" help please!!!!!

stalion 15:31 31 May 04

system os please

nathan gaskell 23:29 31 May 04

w 2000 prof, dont know much else except its not far off going through the window. DESPERATE!!!!

maz2 23:32 31 May 04

It sounds as though you might have picked up a Malware programme this happened to me and stopped my Norton and wouldn't allow me to use it, running Norton online virus checker sisn;t find it but TrendMicro housecall did and showed me how to get rid of it, it's worth a try

stalion 23:34 31 May 04

trend micro is click here

VoG II 23:35 31 May 04

Try an online scan click here

click here

click here

nathan gaskell 11:32 02 Jun 04

when i go into norton it says refreshing! then disabled! when i try to enable it tells me im not authorised, when i try to remove program that i need to set up account! cant set up account, reboot disc, cant its already installed!!, is it something to do with administrator?

Tog 13:10 02 Jun 04

It sounds like it is booting up into a low level user account that has only limited access to the internet. Try logging out (Norton, not windows) and log back in as the administrator. Unless you set up an administrator account, there shouldn't be a password.

If all else fails, go to the Symantec site and use their uninstaller utility to get rid of it and reinstall from scratch.

Tog 13:14 02 Jun 04

To log out of Norton, right click on the icon in the taskbar.

Tog 16:13 02 Jun 04

If it works, set the default (boot up) account back to administrator.

maz2 17:07 02 Jun 04

I still think it's got something to do with a programme (probably malware) that is stopping it running at startup run Trend Micro housecall on line and see what happens

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…