Vanishing Hard Drive Space

Alan Ryan 18:04 19 Nov 04

Suddenly, over the last couple of days, my computer has begun to run noticeably slower and taking longer to boot up. I checked in Hard Drive/Properties and find that about an extra 10GB has been "used up" - but on what I can't say. I haven't loaded any new software, stored any more data than usual, or made any changes to the system at all recently.
I've run all my spyware/virus scans and found nothing. Any ideas please about what might be going on ?

wawadave 18:06 19 Nov 04

a² Free is also a good malware cleaner and can be downloaded from: click here?

Use one of these free on-line scanners (note some spyware,viruses and trojins have been known to disable PC based AV scanners):
click here or click here.

alnwrd 18:42 19 Nov 04

Here are two things you can do to help speed up booting,go to start run and type msconfig.
select selective startup and uncheck all the boxes you can. This means that these programs do not load on boot up, but only when you need them. Secondly run services.msc and follow the excellent advice on the black viper web site which shows what services can be set to manual rather than automatic or disabled altogether. You will notice a speedier bootup.

Alan Ryan 18:47 19 Nov 04

OK Thanks - I'll check them out.

Alan Ryan 18:51 19 Nov 04

I haven't seen the black viper site yet but will check it out.
I've run my eye over the selective start up list and got rid of anything not vital.
What I don't understand is how as much as 10GB of hard disc space can "vanish" in a day or two with no obvious reason for it.

Jackcoms 18:53 19 Nov 04

Have you checked and/or cleared out temp files?

Have you defragged recently?

Are you running an OS with System Restore (such as XP)? Each time a restore point is set -usually daily - that gobbles up a little more HD space.

Alan Ryan 18:54 19 Nov 04

I defragged a couple of hours ago - made no difference to available hard disc space. I also cleared out all System Restore points other than the most recent one - that made only a modest dent in the missing 10GB

Alan Ryan 18:55 19 Nov 04

I defragged a couple of hours ago - made no difference to available hard disc space. I also cleared out all System Restore points other than the most recent one - that made only a modest dent in the missing 10GB

Jackcoms 18:59 19 Nov 04

And temp files/temp internet files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…