Vanishing Folders

Al94 22:03 21 Jul 09

Laptop running XP SP2. Something strange started to happen in the last few weeks. I have a personal folder on the "C" drive which contains numerous sub folders containing personal data. I went to look for something about 3 weeks ago and was concerned to find the folder empty. Fortunately, I regularly back up to an external Seagate drive using Seagate software, I reinstated the folder and assumed it was a strange "one of". Two days ago, I found the same thing again, although this time due to an automated back up, the backup personal folder on the external drive was also empty. I was able to reinstate from the backup history. Tonight, I checked the folder on the "C" drive and found that the sub folders commencing with the letters a, b and c had all disappeared. Again I have reinstated them from the backup. I am at a loss to understand what is going on. No other folders seem to be affected and the laptop is running well as usual.

lotvic 22:47 21 Jul 09

Don't know why it happened but I would make a brand new folder with a different name, and put your data in that.

Maybe try creating several more folders as well as a test.

if they disappear as well then there is definitely something amiss requiring more investigation.

Al94 22:55 21 Jul 09

I'll try that and see what happens. After rebooting laptop. first 16 sub folders in alphabetical order have vanished from the folder again.

Al94 23:21 21 Jul 09

It seems that everytime I reboot, more of the subfolders vanish - any suggestions?

Al94 16:19 22 Jul 09

bump

Graphicool1 17:51 22 Jul 09

Try this...
Click on 'My Computer'
Right Click the C: drive
At the bottom of the drop down menu Click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' Click 'Check Now'
Tick 'Automatically fix file system errors'
Click 'Start'
It will probably say it can't until you reboot. Click 'Yes' and reboot.

I don't know if this will fix it. But it's worth a shot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now