Vanishing e-mails

Dobba 11:53 10 Aug 05

Running XP with SP2, Norton anti virus, Zone Alarm Pro and SpyBot Search & Destroy.
My e-mails in Outlook Express are disappearing. Three folders that I had added to store specific e-mails, one con taining over 700, have just vanished and I can't find them anywhere. Yesterday, a dozen e-mails which I had left in my Intray also vanished of their own accord.
Wanadoo thinks I might have a virus, but I have run Norton and PcCillin anto virus programmes and they all say "all clear".
Has anybody any idea of a virus that hides e-mails and if so, how I go about getting rid of this one.

lotvic 22:15 10 Aug 05

first check that in Outlook Express > View > Current View > there should be a dot next to 'Show All Messages'

lotvic 22:33 10 Aug 05

also have a read on article here click here

Dobba 10:52 11 Aug 05

Thanks lotvik, I think you might have explained what has gone wrong. Now, I can find the dbx files using "Searcg" but when I try to open them, I get a message that Windows doesn't know what programme created them. It gives me an offer of choosing from a list or going on to the web to find out. The web option produces nothing and the only programme I can think of which created the dbx files is Internet Explorer.
Any ideas on how to view the dbx files?

lotvic 18:48 11 Aug 05

If Outlook Express won't open them then you may be able to use this:

did a google for you - have a read on

click here

""go to this site - click here and download OEViewer (it's free). You can run this program, open a .dbx file and then save your mail .......""

Dobba 11:38 13 Aug 05

Thanks Lotvik,
I followed your instructions and have found some (but not all) of the missing e-mails, problem is that I can't open them. Once I have the dbx files on screen, I try to open them by clicking on them, only to get the error notice that Windows doesn't know which programme made them.
What I need to know now is how to open the dbx files, then, presumably, I'm home and dry.
I haven't had any luck downloading OE Viewer, for some reason I can't get to it.

lotvic 21:38 13 Aug 05

click here read this thread on another forum (it starts with the problem at the bottom so you need to read post upwards to solution) it may be just what you need to display the missing folders dbx files back in Outlook Express

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…