Vanishing DC/DVD ROM drive

guesswho2 13:40 31 Jan 07

Twice, in the past week, when I've put a disc in my CD/DVD ROM "D" drive, it seemed normal at first but nothing showed on the screen. When I went into My Computer to check, the "D" drive was no longer listed! Similarly it had disappeared from hardware and it wasn't listed in Device Manager. Nothing relevant was noted in Event Viewer. I tried a driver update but no other is available. When I do a reboot (not a restart) all is well again. Can someone suggest what's the matter?

surfmonkey #:@}© 13:44 31 Jan 07

have you nocoked or moved pc
open case check power lead and cable to cd/dvd drive may be loose make sure conections are in tight

Totally-braindead 13:44 31 Jan 07

The first thing I'd check is the leads, make sure theres not an intermittantly bad connection.

surfmonkey #:@}© 13:45 31 Jan 07

sorry not nocoked should be knocked

RobCharles1981 13:47 31 Jan 07

Check if the cables inside your computer might of not come loose.

guesswho2 13:50 31 Jan 07

Thanks folks.
I somehow don't think it can be a connection problem since the drive powers up OK and the drawer operates OK.

Totally-braindead 13:52 31 Jan 07

What about the other lead? The ribbon cable. If that comes loose the drive will still have power but will not be detected.

Klodshans 17:10 31 Jan 07

Could you inadvertently have removed a CD or other removable device without going through the PC's software? If that is the case, try powering down the PC first. Then 1) disconnect ALL cables from the base/tower unit. 2) Make sure that you are switched off at the mains also. Then press the PC's "ON" button and hold it in for about 60 seconds. 3) Reconnect everything and switch on. The CD drives should be there and working now - it worked for me!
PS Always eject CD's and cards from their slots through the "Safely remove hardware" function, or through My Computer.

ianeon 19:10 31 Jan 07

click here - Have a look at this, it may help

ianeon 19:12 31 Jan 07

click here - Or try this

skidzy 19:46 31 Jan 07

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt,please create a System Restore point first as you will be editing the registry.

Missing cd/dvd drives are normally associated with the removal of a cd burning programs such as Nero/Roxio etc.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…