Vanished Hard Drive Space

Chelonian 12:14 31 Jan 05

I'm hoping that somebody can tell me where my HDD space has gone.

I use a 1998 vintage PC as a word processor. It has a P3 266MHz CPU; 128MB RAM; 4.3GB HDD; MS Windows Me; and only one application, MS Word 2002. It's not connected to the internet, so I'm sending this from a public access computer.

I checked the size of some individual files in Windows Explorer. Program Files is 249MB; My Documents is only 11.4MB; Windows is 854MB.

What I don't understand is why my HDD appears to be almost full. Looking in Windows Explorer, the HDD capacity shows 3.8GB of space used.

The PC once ran MS Office 2000 Pro and numerous other applications but these were removed using the Windows Me Program Remover in Control Panel.

I am a novice with computers so any advice as to why my HDD appears to be full, and what I can do to reclaim space will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

mattyc_92 12:21 31 Jan 05

I don't think this may be the problem but...

If ME has SystemRestore, then disable it and that will save you some space... Also try downloading "ccleaner" from click here

I would suggest checking the temp folder as well... Also try defraging your system and a scan-disk....

Thats about all I can suggest being as you aren't attached to the internet...

mattyc_92 12:23 31 Jan 05

the "I don't think this may be the problem but..." thing is about the "System Restore" because I don't know if ME has it.... But I reccommend doing the rest as well as the system restore thing if it has it...

bertiecharlie 12:42 31 Jan 05

JDiskReport may help from click here

bertiecharlie 12:50 31 Jan 05

Disk Cleaner from click here

Sethhaniel 13:19 31 Jan 05

might be fixed at a very 'high' percentage

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…