Vanished DVD andCDr/w

hecate 14:32 10 Dec 05

Can anyone help? When last used everything worked fine, but now both DVD and CD r/w.
have vanished from "My Computer".Consequently I am unable to either play or record.I have probably done something wrong, but I can't think what.
I have tried to re-install both using "Nero" disks supplied, but without success. Both components are MSI.
Windows ME, Mobo.ASUS A7N8X-.Graphics ATI Radeon 9000SE 128mb.
Thanks, Hecate.

VoG II 14:35 10 Dec 05
  hecate 14:28 07 Jan 06

Hi Vog. Thanks for your suggestion.Unfortunately I don't have XP and this is only for use with XP.
I can see the lights on both components, and the drawers open and close but all I can get is a notice telling me to"Insert disk"also both icons have vanished from "My Computer".
I've tried to contact MSI the makers of both units but with no help whatsoever. Thanks again, Hecate

BurrWalnut 14:31 07 Jan 06

Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in both My Computer and Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio/Sonic software.

Start, Run, type regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If the keys are not present it's a different problem. If in doubt backup the registry first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:33 07 Jan 06

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.

Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

hecate 18:31 07 Jan 06

Burr Walnut and Fruit Bat.Hi guys,thanks for your quick responses.I did as you suggested going into "Regedit". Unfortunately the key you pointed out is not there. You also mentioned it might be a different problem. Thanks again, Hecate.

alexgray104 19:01 07 Jan 06

Perhaps the IDE cable just come out?? On my old pc the connection between m/board and IDE Channel 2 was quite loose and consequently come out whenever i moved the PC.

brettly01 19:34 07 Jan 06

hi hecate,
you need to go to control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management and then you need to set drive letter and paths.

brett

hecate 09:08 08 Jan 06

Brett, thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure how to set drive letters and paths. Can you please help? Thanks ,Hecate

Stuartli 10:03 08 Jan 06

The most likely reason for the "disappearance" of your drives is loose connections.

An easy test is to open Device Manager in Safe Mode and, if they are listed there, that is the most probable cause.

Check the connections again and, if they are OK, uninstall both drives from Device Manager and reboot.

Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver for both drives.

hecate 09:44 09 Jan 06

Hi all. Thanks for all your suggestions. After trying them all still no joy I'm afraid.
Stuartli, after trying your suggestion and removing both units. When I went to re-install, Control Panel-Add new hardware-Devices, I noticed that 3 devices had yellow (!) marks and 4 devices had yellow (?)marks.Is this significant?
I also tried to get help from MSI, the makers of both units,to perhaps try new drives.But I drew a blank. Thanks again.Hecate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…