Vanished D drive!

JerryH 17:52 17 Nov 06

I have 2 200Gb hard drives. Until now both have shown up as C and D in My Computer and Win Explorer, and both functioned OK. C (primary) drive Ok, but D has vanished from My Computer and Explorer. I have not tampered physically with the PC. How can I get it back?

Diemmess 18:12 17 Nov 06

1.) Undo and Redo both power and data cables at both ends.

2.) Temporarily, try undoing the connections to a secondary drive device e.g. an optical drive and using those to connect your 'missing' HD.

You will need to check the jumpers on the HD unless as a presumed slave to Drive C: (its present position) you make sure it is a slave on the secondary cable to another device.

If it works in any of these positions you will know that the HD itself is OK.

JerryH 10:53 21 Nov 06

Thks, Diemmess. I shd have mentioned I have SATA drives, 16 mths old; the problem one is the secondary drive and very lightly used. Adapting your advice, I switched the Channel 0 lead from the primary HDD to the secondary HDD. On re-booting, initially OK, but it seems XP would not boot - just a blank black screen with cursor flasshing in top LH corner. Meaning?

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:29 21 Nov 06

I suppose the

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:30 21 Nov 06

sorry meant to press clear

Diemmess 13:42 21 Nov 06

I'm a mite confused as well as lacking the knowledge to suggest where to go now!

The good news seems to be that you can "see" 2 drives now.

The bad news is that XP wont load?
The flashing cursor usually happens every time during the boot process just as it connects with the operating system drive (C:) and looks for the O.S. itself. ( Perhaps in this case it can find what it thinks is C: but not the O.S.)

You could try booting in safe mode and see what that does?
OR
You can return the data cables to the original position on the two HDs and see if that now works?

If it does then there must be a cable or cable connection flaw somehwere. If it was working and then suddenly stopped, it wont be the jumper on either device, because to change these you have to move them physically.

rawprawn 13:44 21 Nov 06

click here See if this helps.

ed-0 13:50 21 Nov 06

" I switched the Channel 0 lead from the primary HDD to the secondary HDD. On re-booting, initially OK, but it seems XP would not boot "

Unless you have mirrored the drives, it wont. It is looking for XP on your second drive. You would either have to change the SATA settings in the bios or place the cables the way they were. It won't be a jumper as all SATA drives are masters.

The second option would be the easiest and it will show if you had a loose connection.

If when you reboot with the drives in the original configuration and the second SATA drive does not show. Look in disk management to see if the hard drive is listed there.

JerryH 11:43 23 Nov 06

Thanks all for inputs. SATA connection and cable OK. The D drive is absent from My Computer, but both SATA drives show up on booting-up, in DEvice Mgr(C = "Target ID 0", D = "Target ID 4") and in Disk Mgmt. However, in Disk Mgmt the C HDD is correctly described under "Volume" heading and under "Status" it says "Healthy (System)", but the D HDD is blank under "Volume" and says "Healthy" under "Status". Suggests the PC knows there is a second HDD but has forgotten the name it should address?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…