validation sites

esl_webber 11:19 29 Aug 03

does anyone know of a good website validation site, to check compatibilty with macs, pc, explorer, netscape and old versions of software?

Talented Monkey 11:47 29 Aug 03

If you are willing to pay US$10 for checking 10 URLS, then try out BrowserCam click here This will show what your web pages look like for all browser platforms.

esl_webber 11:52 29 Aug 03

cheers talented monkey, but I am of course looking for something where I don't have to pay. I found one that validates for older versions of netscape.
I am webdesigning on a mac and checking on internet explorer, but it is sending me a bit mad that everytime i check on a pc I have problems, I do need to learn more about html so i can clean up the dreamweaver code.

Taran 12:17 29 Aug 03

If you learn to clean up Dreamweaver code you've performed a minor miracle in itself. Dreamweaver generates about the cleanest code of any web editor, so good luck on that front.

One possible explanation here is that your payouts may need tweaking. Try using a table layout for page content conistency. Tables and their contents more or less remove the need for cross browser checking, unless you've used some seriously unusual design elements or many nested tables at once.

I do a lot of Dreamweaving on my Macs and I find everything transposes to PC's just fine without issues. If you go dumping layers into a page to hold objects and content, this can cause havoc with different browsers and screen resolutions, as can some frames pages.

I'd look at your overall layout first and then go chasing browser checking later on. As long as you use a consistently controlled layout, and tables are a perfect example of good page design, you should have fewer if any issues.

Post again with more information and I'll help if I can, but cross browser checking should be almost unnecessary if you do your planning properly and if you don't go nuts with frames, too many layers and other rubbish.

esl_webber 12:26 29 Aug 03

I no longer use frames, and rarely layers. I do use tables as layouts and nested tables, but find that they are sometimes are automatically given set pixel widths and heights, which is a pain. Unfortunalty the site that is causing me the most problems is one that I have been working on for a while and was originally given to me created from word - what a night mare and gone from having frames to none. I would rebuild completely, but the amount of information of products and prices contained within the site is too big for re-typing. I guess it is just a case of reviewing every page.

Taran 12:40 29 Aug 03

Just copy and paste the body text and images into new pages from the old site as designed in Word.

Or use the Commands menu and select the option to Clean up Word HTML to scan and remove any and all redundant tags.

Word produces very bloated code, but there are loads of options to clean it up either from within Dreamweaver or by using one of many available 3rd party utilities.

Run a search in Google for:

"html"+"word"+clean up code

esl_webber 12:45 29 Aug 03

I cleaned it up, but still get a few bits and pieces lurking, it is a site i started before I know what I know now about web design - and I'm trying to get it sorted quickly before too many people see it!

Taran 13:02 29 Aug 03

There are times when it is often better to cut your losses and start afresh.

I hate re-design of someone else's work. I always feel like I'm trailing around cleaning up after them. It is often quicker in the long run to create a new site with all pages and navigation links up and running as required, then transpose the original text and images into the new pages. The images are easy; copy or import the graphics into the images folder of your web and assign them to the relevant pages.

Dreamweaver makes a pretty good stab at cleaning up code but it's far better to design error free tags into your pages to begin with, rather than go back and run into headaches. For example, say you have some text in a table cell. You want it centred in the cell. Do you highlight the text and align it using text alignment ?

Of course not. You click in the cell and set its horizontal and vertical values as required. This results in less code, valid code and more easily interpreted code by browsers. Doing it the other way is one of many common mistakes but you wouldn't believe how many people do it.

Assigning table values is a subject all of it's own. As a rule of thumb, don't be too tempted to try and get all your table sizes defined in the table parameters itself. Give the individual cells in your table the necessary width and height values you need. You'll find that if you ever want to validate your code using click here you will need cell dimensions set, not unusual table height values.

Just click in the relevant cell and alter its parameters in the properties section of Dreamweaver. I prefer set sizes for everything for some layouts, and percentages for others. The thing about set values is that they arre a known quantity. Nested tables though, as I already mentioned, will cause issues with some browsers - especially NetScape and sometimes Opera.

The thing with dreamweaver and similar products is that they can make your life easy if you know how to use them, ut they don't prevent easy to make mistakes which results in very confusing code. You can easily introduce potential errors as you work, often through simple formatting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…