Validating Site

coolteentom 19:01 23 Apr 06

Hey,

I have just carried out a validation check on a site that I am doing, and am just wondering if anyone can tell me how to use coding to make this page completely accessible? I have read on the net about using some kind of CSS code, but I'm not exactly sure how to use it... Below are the errors I'm getting at the minute:

Line 57, character 18:
body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginhei ...
^Error: there is no attribute LEFTMARGIN for this element (in this HTML version)

Line 57, character 32:
... ody leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheigh ...
^Error: there is no attribute TOPMARGIN for this element (in this HTML version)

Line 57, character 48:
... 0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" text="#333 ...
^Error: there is no attribute MARGINWIDTH for this element (in this HTML version)

Line 57, character 65:
... marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" text="#333333">
^Error: there is no attribute MARGINHEIGHT for this element (in this HTML version)

Line 61, character 28:
table width="100%" height="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" ...
^Error: there is no attribute HEIGHT for this element (in this HTML version)

Line 81, character 79:
... " cellspacing="0" background="images/sidenavbg.gif">
^Error: there is no attribute BACKGROUND for this element (in this HTML version)

Cheers, Tom

coolteentom 20:11 23 Apr 06

Managed to sort the coding for everything, except for the height, in which I am getting the following error on the validator:

<table width="100%" height="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" ...
^Error: there is no attribute HEIGHT for this element (in this HTML version)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

ade.h 20:46 23 Apr 06

Are you trying to match it to 4.01 Strict? I have read that the height attribute has been dropped from this, though quite what you're supposed to replace it with is anyone's guess! Beynac commented on this recently, I think.

coolteentom 21:36 23 Apr 06

I've validated the site to 4.01 Transitional now :D.

Thanks for your post ade.h

PurplePenny 23:05 23 Apr 06

Table can't have a height in transitional either.

PurplePenny 17:16 24 Apr 06

I've just spotted that you said that you wanted to make your page "completely accessible". To do that you need to do more than just make it validate (but that's a good place to start).

It's a complicated business and even the accessibility gurus don't always agree (quelle surprise!). If you want to know more just shout and I'll try to help.

coolteentom 17:50 25 Apr 06

Many thanks, PurplePenny, for your support...

I now understand about the difficulties of accomodating a website for as many browsers as possible. I probably will need your help in the future as I am just starting up in this business and have very little experience =).

Cheers,

tom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…