Vaio WLAN concern!!

SDJ 22:20 09 Mar 05

I may be reading this wrong, but I have just invested in a new Sony Vaio KS series and when it arrived I noticed on the box that there was a note regarding the WLAN.
It says that it can only work in the following countries, those in bold have certain conditions...... blah blah. It then lists a series of European countries and some are in bold which refers you to the regulations manual.

Anyway, the regulations manual speaks of countries such as France whereby you cant use certain channels outdoors in accordance with some laws.

My concern is (sorry for going on above!! but trying to set the scene!!) I am going to the USA for eighteen months next month and I want to make sure the WLAN will work. Before you say it I know I could have got it cheaper over there but I wanted a UK spec as my trip is only temporary.

Can anyone shed any light on this before I register and start loading software onto my laptop.

Thanks Loads

TomJerry 23:45 09 Mar 05

WiFi standard is rectified by an International Body - IEEE which located in the USA. The standards issued by IEEEsuch as 11b, 11g and 11a are international standard. WiFi use unregulated frequency band, the same band is used by Dec (cordless phones). In fact, you have more channels to select in USA than UK.

I really do not think you need to worry about this.

At the worst case (suppose I missed someting which I do not think so as an IEEE fellow), you just disable on-board WiFi and buy a compitable WiFi card for a few dolloars to use with it.

TomJerry 23:54 09 Mar 05

If you go there next month, I think it is better to buy there with international warrenty.

There is absoultely NO difference between UK and US models.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…