Vaio PCG-Z600NE laptop - XP battery problem

jester34 16:48 20 Nov 04

I have just bought a second-hand Sony Vaio PCG-Z600NE laptop that came preinstalled with Win98. I have upgraded to XP professional and using all the XP drivers on the Vaio-link website have got everything working - apart from the battery. Under Win98 the battery charged fine and held a decent charge. Now, although it says it has charged fully, the charge only lasts for just over a minute, then the machine just turns off. This happens every time, although the machine works fine when plugged in to the mains.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

red dragon 17:44 20 Nov 04

Is the battery the type with lights built in to show how charged it is?

When plugged into the mains what is the battery status? Does it show it is charging? Does it show the percentage of charge?

How old is the battery?

Red Dragon

jester34 17:55 20 Nov 04

Hi Red Dragon

No, the battery does not have any lights built into it. It is a PCGA-BPZ51. It is the original battery that came with the machine and I believe it is about 4 yrs old.

When it is plugged in the software shows it is charging, it charges properly all the way up to 100%, but the software shows a usable time when fully charged of 1:05 mins - and that is what it does.

I don't know if it is a battery problem - it worked fine under Win98 and lasted for over an hour - or whether it is a software issue after the upgrade to XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…