Vaio PCG 4K1M does not switch on or charge

rob_gould 11:45 26 Nov 09

Hi All,

Bit of a sticky situation here that I'd appreciate some advice on :

The background :

My dad gave me his Vaio PCG 4K1M laptop because the screen needed replacing.

I (idiotically) took the main body of the laptop to bits withouth realising you didn't need to do that to replace the screen.

I put the laptop back together (with the faulty screen) and everything still worked perfectly. I then worked out how to remove the screen itself, and did so.

I spent £220 on a new screen, and about a week later put it in (this time without opening up the main body of the laptop).

Now, the laptop does not start when I press the power button, and the LED does not light to indicate that the battery is charging when plugged in.

I know the PSU is OK as it reads 16.08V on my multimeter.

So - I'm presuming this must be a lose connection somewhere, as it 'broke' when it was sitting doing nothing for a week, untouched.

Any ideas where to start looking to solve this fault - laptop shows no indication of receiving power when PSU is plugged in?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Technotiger 12:02 26 Nov 09

First thing to check is All the Power items and connections, including the fuse in the plug!!

rob_gould 12:05 26 Nov 09

I know the PSU is OK as it reads 16.08V on my multimeter.

Technotiger 12:50 26 Nov 09

But I did not mean just the PSU, check All Power cables/connections/fuses etc, starting with the simplest - the fuse in the Mains plug!

rob_gould 13:14 26 Nov 09

Hi,

Sorry, perhaps I am not being clear.

I plugged the PSU for the laptopinto the mains, the LED on the PSU lit, I measured 16V from the connector on the end of the PSU that plugs into the laptop, but when I plug this connector into the laptop nothing happens. No charging light, laptop does not switch on.

The problem is with the laptop, not with the PSU

Technotiger 13:28 26 Nov 09

Laptop power connections cause loads of problems - probably suggesting what you already know, but check the lead from PSU to lappie, check the lappie power socket, and also its connection at the mobo - could be a simple dry joint. Have a very close look for any signs of burning/melting on mobo, such signs could be very small and hard to see. Check any fuses in the lappie itself.

Technotiger 13:30 26 Nov 09

Could also of course, be a dodgy On/off switch on the lappie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…