Vaio Laptop Hard Drive Upgrade

ADELLA30 21:41 20 May 05

I wish to upgrade the 30Gb hard drive as supplied on my PCG-GRX316MP to a 60 or 80Gb unit.
As is well known Sony Support??!! are very unhelpful when it comes to DIY. A service is offered, I suspect at a price beyound the limits of the State Pension.
The L/T is provided with a set of recovery disks, but I would prefer to cut out the Sony add-ons and go for a Windows XP (Prof) OS installation
I would very much appreciate any information and/or sugestions as to the best way of tackling this project.

timeteam2004 22:13 20 May 05
  Diodorus Siculus 22:16 20 May 05

Why not go for an external usb2 drive? It's pretty effective these days.

ADELLA30 10:11 21 May 05

Thanks time team 2004.
Your link refers to the Vaio PCG-F630 which has an embedded HD. i.e., requires dissembly of the casing. The PCG-GRX316MP has the HD contained in a removable caddy. I have tried replacing the "as supplied" drive which is a Toshiba MK3018GAS with a 30Gb Hitachi but the POST requires removal of media disc and will not continue.

Thanks for suggestion Diodorus Siculus
Might have to try this as a last solution. Would I be able to put a clean WindowsXP on the external drive. Would much prefer to do away with the Sony recovery rubbish.

ADELLA30 10:11 21 May 05

Thanks time team 2004.
Your link refers to the Vaio PCG-F630 which has an embedded HD. i.e., requires dissembly of the casing. The PCG-GRX316MP has the HD contained in a removable caddy. I have tried replacing the "as supplied" drive which is a Toshiba MK3018GAS with a 30Gb Hitachi but the POST requires removal of media disc and will not continue.

Thanks for suggestion Diodorus Siculus
Might have to try this as a last solution. Would I be able to put a clean WindowsXP on the external drive. Would much prefer to do away with the Sony recovery rubbish.

ADELLA30 10:13 21 May 05

Woops Trigger happy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:16 21 May 05

Have you accessed the Bios and Checked that it recognises your new drive?

Eric10 10:56 21 May 05

I would think that your POST is looking for an Operating System and if the Hitachi drive you fitted doesn't have one that will be why it stops. If you already have your Windows XP Pro CD you can boot from that by pressing a key when asked if you want to boot from CD. You may need to set the BIOS to boot from CD first and while you are in there you can check that the hard drive is being recognised as suggested by Fruit Bat. The setup process on the CD takes over then and allows partitioning, formatting, and installation of the OS on your hard drive.

If you don't already have an XP Pro CD then bear in mind that some dealers such as CCL Computers click here along with many others can legally sell you an OEM version of XP Pro at a reduced price if purchased with a hard drive or other such major item.

fitcher 11:39 21 May 05

I bought the 40 gb 2.5 " hard drive from scan and an external caddy to fit (has the leads ie two usb 2s /one for strenght of signal/if needed ) ..with acronis I transfered copy to the external drive .notice the drive speeds ,they are mostly 4500 .I intend to get a 7500 note book hd next .they are more expensive but i think would speed up things .also ..mine can be easily fitted by way of a caddy in laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…