V92 Modem - Cannot get beyond 31.2 kbps

FCD 14:57 25 Sep 04

I have a Ham Ambient modem on Win XP home with SP1. After recently reloading Win XP and still using the latest drivers that I can find [Version 4.47.2] I can now only connect at 31.2 kbps.

I have confirmed that my telephone line is ok - by connecting a laptop which gave me speeds between 45 and 51.

Grateful for any help on how I might be able to regain the improved V92 speed.

Stuartli 17:48 25 Sep 04

If you go to your modem manufacturer's website or, alternatively, click here , you should be able to find the latest driver for your modem.

You should also recheck the modem's configuration such as port speed (115,000 is a good start) and that Country is set to UK - some modems default to US.

Diemmess 17:58 25 Sep 04

You don't say which ISP you use. While using dialup with Aol, I had a selection of numbers I could choose.

At least one, never went beyond 33 while after an exchange "turn-up" at least one would regularly connect at 44 - 49. I admit I never saw 50 or better!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…