Utilities software or not?

subi 21:30 27 Jun 03

Just had my computer fixed and was told by the engineer that "Norton Utilities", which I had installed was the same as the Scandisk and Disk Fragmenter which comes with the Windows package.
Had to use the Scandisk on "Thorough" scan which took around 6 hours to scan the hard disk.
When I used "Norton" for the same function it usually took about 30 minutes!
I am confused!Can anyone enlighten me, as to what is the difference, apart from the Norton speed?

Steven135 21:43 27 Jun 03

I have used Norton Utilities for years now it is mature software that does the job of keeping your machine neat and tidy.

Have to say others would probably not agree saying that it slows the PC etc. I've never had any problems though wouldn't be without it.

Ian-231569 22:16 27 Jun 03

Would not even consider instaling a tool box evrything you need is instaled learn to use what you have got. this is a better option.

VoG II 22:19 27 Jun 03

I've seen these things described as "scareware".

If your 'puter is working OK, what is the problem.

Forum Editor 23:01 27 Jun 03

this kind of software isn't necessary. All the tools you need to maintain an efficient computing environment are there, in Windows, and combined with good housekeeping practices they'll be all you really need.

On the other hand, if you get a sense of security from software like Norton Utilities there's no harm in using it - although there is a body of opinion that says there's a hefty performance penalty to be paid. I wouldn't know from personal experience because I've never used anything of that kind.

subi 15:08 28 Jun 03

Many thanks for the responses.I will use the Windows System Tools and keep my fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…