Utilities software (Free)

Hetti 19:25 PM 08 Jul 11

My brother currently has Glary utilities but has problems when there is an update to do, as he has to go to the website then download the update then install it (he had 12 downloads and had not installed any of them) he wondered why he was continually being asked to update, he is getting on a bit and not very good on PC he needs something that will udate automatically from the software with as few steps as possible, also free if possible.

Terry Brown 07:49 AM 09 Jul 11

Surley the easy answer would be for you to give him a hand and load the updates for him, or do you like too far away or another reason why you cannot do this?.

Terry

Hetti 09:02 AM 09 Jul 11

Hi Terry

Yes it is quiet a way from where I live... I dont mind making the trek but just thought it might be an idea to install something different for him. I have downloaded advanced system care on to my PC, I will use it for a while to see if it might be OK for him to use.

spuds 14:24 PM 11 Jul 11

Glary was or use to be classed as one of the 'better/reliable' product. Advanced System Care was originally Advanced Window Care, and over time, this as undergone a number of changes (some good,some not so good). The same applies to Iobit and Ashampoo products. All have free versions available.

Install CCleaner, and give that a try. You could also check out http://www.majorgeeks.com or http://www.filehippo.com for other alternatives (the latest version of CCleaner should be on both websites).

If you are not sure about other products, then come back with your queries.

johndrew 16:24 PM 11 Jul 11

One option would be to tell him to ignore or say 'No Thanks' to the updates and let you sort it out when you visit. After all they are seldom critical and some do detract from the original (good) functionality of some software as spuds points out.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED