Usually offer help but stumped on this one

anon1 11:41 24 Feb 04

Hi all, I usually offer help wherever I can but this has me really stumped.
System info;
win xp pro with sp1, amd duron 1ghz, 512 mb ram on board graphics ( I know but money is tight)
No virus no spyware or malware. Broadband connection.
Problem; XP keeps grinding to a halt and it is then impossible to recover without resetting the pc. The first signs are that any window is slow to open and at times just freezes. 3 fingered salute is not any help as this hangs too. I have tried sfc, system restore, xp repair closed all software but to no avail maybe I have missed something. Oh and there are no error messages otherwise I would not be posting. All in all I would say that xp on this machine right now is very unstable and it has been good. Any offers?

Sir Radfordin 11:45 24 Feb 04

Does it have anything in the Event Viewer?

When it does grind to a halt see if you can bring up the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and see what is going on there - is the processor maxing out or is one process using all the resources?

Belatucadrus 12:15 24 Feb 04

click here check out Winsonar, see whats going on in the background.

anon1 12:19 24 Feb 04

Thanks for the quick responses, one thing I have noticed is that the "system idle process" is running at up to 100% usually around 90%

anon1 12:31 24 Feb 04

Well according to winsonar there is nothing out of the ordinary going on.

Belatucadrus 12:37 24 Feb 04

Have you checked the cooling fans ? it could be that the PC is overheating, my old Cyrix PC showed similar symptoms when the CPU fan expired.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:37 24 Feb 04

Try turning the fancy bits off for desktop background and such so it looks like basic windows see if that helps the freeze up should free up some resources.It could be the onboard gffix isnt up to running all the bells and whistles.

Legolas 12:38 24 Feb 04

My XP system had been playing up for a while,any game I tried to play crashed to the desktop after a few minutes, it became very frustrating. I even bought a new graphics card with no improvement in the problem. Ater talking to a friend at college he suggested checking my RAM memory.

I discoverd one stick was faulty and after removing it my system is working normally again no more crashes during gameplay. If you want to test your memory download memtest click here it will check your memory for errors.

Indigo 1 13:12 24 Feb 04

Is it happening when you are online ? or is it just anytime ?

I am wondering if you have a PCI Dial-Up modem that is conflicting with your BB modem.

I would start by disabling any additional PCI devices like sound card, modem and possibly USB and peripherals like printer and sanner etc. Then see if you still have the problem.

mosfet 17:42 24 Feb 04

Had very similar last year...2 keys "partly" making contact.Shift & alt.Could only prove it in Photoshop,the shift could do 3 different things not 2....No more trouble after new k/bd....Les

Wak 18:46 24 Feb 04

Suggest that you check your homepage and make sure that it hasn't been hijacked.
My daughter's XP was hijacked and it took 2 to 3 minutes just to change a page on the net.
Really slowed it down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…