VoG™ 19:26 01 Jan 03
  VoG™ 19:26 01 Jan 03

I posted about this earlier today and received a helpful response from Gongoozler click here telling me that this is U.S. Robotics modem related. I do have a U.S. Robotics modem but I don't use it now as I have cable broadband.

I followed the advice from click here to delete USRSHUTA.EXE from C:\Windows\System32 and guess what - on rebooting the file is restored and the process is up and running. Clever ol Windows XP!

So, I went into device manager and removed the modem drivers. And guess what - on rebooting clever ol Windows (without any fuss, prompts or anything to tell me what it is doing) obviously detects "new hardware" and reinstalls the default Windows drivers. And, yes, the usrshuta process is running quite happily and unnecessarily!

I want to get rid of this because I am sure that it is slowing down my shutdown significantly.

Any ideas other than physically removing the modem - "I hate opening the case".

« Ravin » 19:31 01 Jan 03

how about disabling the modem from device manager?

jazzypop 19:33 01 Jan 03

The quick and dirty way is to use Start > Run > msconfig > Startup tab, find the reference to ushurta and untick it.

The 'proper' way is to delete the original reference from the registry. It is most likely to be found in HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RUN

If you are not confident about working in the Registry, use the first method. Even if you are, make a backup of the Registry first :)

spikeychris 19:36 01 Jan 03

In phone and modems have you tried "dissable this device" in properties.

jazzypop 19:42 01 Jan 03

Hmmm - not so sure now. If you search Google Groups for usrshuta, you will find reference to this file being part of the Windows shutdown / hibernation system files.

I am even more suspicious, because the original link that you gave in your first posting does not give any evidence or backup - it just states that it is part of the US Robotics software.

Perhaps it would be wiser to step through the XP shutdown solutions at click here first.

VoG™ 19:43 01 Jan 03

« Ravin » - brilliant, thank you so much! The words "wood" "trees" and "hangover" spring to mind.

jazzypop and spikeychris - thanks also.

As I suspected The Beast now shuts down much faster.

Happy New Year to all!

VoG™ 19:45 01 Jan 03

Do not fear; I did not follow the instructions willy nilly - I first checked that USRSHUTA.EXE was listed in the U.S. Robotics modem drivers.

jazzypop 19:47 01 Jan 03

He he he - fortune favours the bold and the brave :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…