USR 8054 WAP config- am I being a dummy?

Epirb406 11:21 04 Sep 04

Hi all,

Am just about to get wireless BB so am having to get a bit more familiar with my kit.

I have a US Robotics 8054 Turbo access point and router which currently just links the PCs in my house on the network. My network is in Infrastructure mode with IP addresses assigned to each machine, it never worked automatically assigning addresses.

Connection is dial up through one PC shared with other machines on network.

XP Connected to net and other machines 2 x 98 and 1x XP.

All I wanted to do was look at the configuration of my 8054 which has a browser interface, supposedly accessed by typing 192.168.123.254 into my browser.

Unfortunatly all that does is connect to the net and try and find that IP address, which it can't.

I have trwled web and forums for clues but noone else mentions it as a problem.

Am I being a dummy is there something simple and fundamental that I am doing wrong?

Advice appreciated, Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 14:53 04 Sep 04

_^

VoG II 18:49 04 Sep 04

I'm certainly no expert on this but it sounds to me like youir PC is not "seeing" the router, hence it goes off to search for that IP address on the net.

My (Belkin) router has a similar system for adjusting its settings by typing its IP address into a browser and it works for me.

This will "bump" you anyway, for the attention of somebody who knows what they are talking about :o)

Epirb406 19:09 04 Sep 04

In simplest terms, it must be seing it because it is doing all the routing on the network.

I know because you made me scratch my head and wonder if I was housing a usless piece of kit so I unplugged it! Network fell over straight away, Phew!

Thanks for the bump, look forward to any ideas,

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 19:58 04 Sep 04

As I said above I couldn't get the internet sharing to work with automatic IP addresses so i assigned addresses in the TCIP settings of the local network cards.

If I change that to automatic on any of the machines then I can no longer connect to the internet......but.....I can access the config utility on the router.

How weird is that?

Any network gurus about? would love to get my knowledge up!

Cheers, epirb.

Epirb406 10:22 05 Sep 04

good morning all, just a little bounce to get me up the list!

Epirb406 11:49 05 Sep 04

Subnet mask for gateway is 255.255.255.0 as it is I beleive on the router.

Have the information bur not sure I understand it, any pointers?

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 14:42 12 Sep 04

Just bumping a few to see if I can get any more clues and produce some ticks!

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 16:14 12 Sep 04

All boxes on all LAN options unchecked. (On all machines)

Cheers, Epirb

Epirb406 22:23 12 Sep 04

well so it seems, will give it a tick and look elsewhere.

thanks all,

epirb

Epirb406 19:35 01 Apr 05

But thought I would post a solution if any one was in the same position.

Very simpple, unless the PC was in the same IP range as the router it could not see it.

Solution, let the router assign IPs or st IP to the 192.168.123 range and you get straight in.

Hope that helps someone, some where, some time,

Cheers, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…