Using Zip disk instead of floppy disk to boot etc

The Transporter 21:10 15 Apr 04

hi all,

i know that using zips are somewhat of an expensive idea but if the files of a win 98 boot disk were put on a disk, would it work.

How would i choose the zip disk to boot off. or is it impossible.

would it be easier to use the cd-rom with an iso?

any ideas

Diodorus Siculus 22:05 15 Apr 04

A boot CD is easier, and certainly works; don't know about the possibility of a ZIP disk.

VoG II 22:10 15 Apr 04

I don't think you can use zip drives to boot off. For one thing there is unlikely to be an option in the BIOS to make the zip the first boot device.

Eric10 23:03 15 Apr 04

I have an ECS motherboard and the BIOS has options for 1st Boot device as follows:

ATAPI ZIP C:

USB ZIP/MO

ZIP A:/LS120

I don't have a zip drive to test it but with the last option set, it booted from a floppy in my LS120 drive. From this I would say, if your BIOS has the necessary boot option then give it a try. You would need to format the disk as a system disk though because just copying the boot files wont work and since I have never used a zip disk I don't know if this option is available when formatting the disk.

Having said all this I have to add that a boot CD would be easier and more universal.

VoG II 23:05 15 Apr 04

I'll get my coat :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…