Using XP MMC for a logical partition

david.h 14:02 02 Oct 04

I have XP PRO and have a spare 12g on my extended partition if i make a 6g logical partition from it using xp mmc will i loose any info on my extended partition. Will xp automatically give it a drive letter.
i know partitiom magic does this but i only have P.Magic6 which is no good for xp.

pj123 14:47 02 Oct 04

Don't know much about Win XP but you could try Ranish free from click here Should do what you want.

mgmcc 17:29 02 Oct 04

You would normally create a new "logical drive" in the "extended partition". Presumably you have an existing "logical drive" that doesn't use the full "extended partition", so you can now create a second "logical drive" that will have its own drive letter and won't damage data in the existing drive.

Not sure what XP MMC is, but you should be able to do it with Disk Management in XP's Computer Management. (Right click "My Computer" and select Manage.)

david.h 17:57 02 Oct 04

Thank you that solves the question

lozparry 18:05 02 Oct 04

MMC is your microsoft management console that has disk management and various other tools. you use snap in what tool you want. XP home has limited ver. As mentioned you have primary partitions up to 3 with 1 extended partition. within you can have loads of logical partitions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…