Using a windows XP Restore CD

munch 19:47 07 Oct 03

I have got 'Windows ME'installed on my computer,but I have acquired an 'XP Restore CD',which I want to use to install XP on my system.Will the XP restore cd do this without any problems, or is there codes or serial No's I might need, that don't come with the CD.This is an original restore cd & I have checked my system and printer & scanner for compatability and requirements.I just need to update software+drivers for these, which I have downloaded from the product websites.
If there is anything I have overlooked or missed please reply with your suggestions or tips.

spikeychris 19:52 07 Oct 03

"If there is anything I have overlooked or missed please reply with your suggestions or tips. " will not work!

It will only work on the machine it came with.

JFT 19:55 07 Oct 03

It wont work, a Restore CD is not the same as an original XP CD besides Uncle Bill doesn't take to kindly to this!

graham√ 19:56 07 Oct 03

I may be shot down in flames for this, but I don't think a restore disk will instal XP. You need an installation or upgrade disk.

Otherwise, anyone who buys an XP system with a restore disc could pass it round their friends, and that would never do.

graham√ 20:00 07 Oct 03

PS. Restore CD = Recovery CD. Same thing.

wiznyme 20:28 07 Oct 03

1 most restore CD's have an app to check they're on the sys they're intended for and won't run if they decide they're not.

2 If you did manage to bypass this and get it to install you would have all the wrong drivers for every piece of hardware in your system and would be doubtful if system would even boot.

3 Its illegal, no better than piracy.

Lozzy 20:31 07 Oct 03

Are you for real!!! (I am a McInroe fan):)
As if Mr Gates would allow you to use a pirate copy.. My advice is invest in the real McCoy.. You won't regret it..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…