Using Windows Briefcase

Hi.

I run a home network with 3 computers (my main computer (also a server) and two clients) and a laptop. My main computer has a designated drive for storing all of my videos, movies, music etc as a mapped network drive called MEDIA (M:).

I would like to use Windows Briefcase to synchronise the whole of the M drive onto my laptop, as a means of backup. I would also like to syncronise the whole of my documents and the contents of various other folders with my laptop and main computer.

The steps that I follow are: I create a Briefcase on my laptop. I drag the M drive into the laptop. I then edit something on the M drive, then click 'update' in the laptop Briefcase. However, it reports that all the files are up-to-date. Also, when I go into the Briefcase on the laptop, any folder that I have copied over is always empty. If I then copy over the contents of the folders, the Briefase says that the files are Orphans and cannot be updated.

I am obviously doing something wrong in the way in which I am using the Briefcase. If you can understand the gist of what I am trying to do, can you explain the steps in which I need to take in order to use Briefcase to carry out this synchronisation.

Many thanks.

BurrWalnut 14:49 03 Jun 03

Sounds like a large briefcase!

I initially set up briefcase by "sending" files/folders to it. It sounds as though you have just moved the files to the briefcase, try doing it my way with a small file, update the small file and check if the briefcase needs updating.

Thats what I have done. I have copied the files/folders to the briefcase.

Could you please define "sending"

Thanks.

BurrWalnut 14:56 03 Jun 03

Right click, Send To

or

Copy and Paste.

fitshase 15:04 03 Jun 03

What you need to do is to create a briefcase on the machine with the M: drive.

Then drag the media files into the briefcase.

Then copy the briefcase to the laptop.

(I think!)

regards

Fitshase

I've done as you describe and used "send to.." to send the contents of folders to the briefcase, however, there is a problem with this:

The contents of the Briefcase will not exceed 9.75MB for some reason. If I try to send a folder to the Briefcase and the briefcase has already reached a size of 9.75MB, it sends the folder, but the folder is empty in the briefcase.

BurrWalnut 15:13 03 Jun 03

I said it was a large briefcase!

I suspect you can enlarge it (Registry?) but not to enormous proportions.

Do a M/S knowledgebase search.

I have tried you suggestion but unfortunately it did not work. If I modify, delete or add any files to M: drive, both the briefcase on the laptop and the one on the machine with M: drive both report that the files are up-to-date, even though they have been changed.

hmmmm....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…