Using Windows 7 Home Premium and updates

spuds 12:24 30 Sep 13
Answered

Having to use a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium this morning, that's been in hibernation for some time. I commenced to 'bring the computer' up to date with all the requested updates.

Not knowing much about Windows 7 Home Premium, i found that when typing out another Tech Helproom request, the computer automatically started to download 'configured windows updates' without my acceptance.

Having a number of problems going on this morning/afternoon, I thought a quick request here, would provide some results on how to stop automatic updates, if at all possible with Windows 7.

When time permits, I will have a look at a few tutorial video's for a learning curve with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help much appreciated.

Aitchbee 12:35 30 Sep 13

Hello spuds.

I have just acquired a 'windows 7 ultimate' computer [last week] and have been 'doing' a lot of updating!

Having read about the potential pitfalls when upgrading from IE9 to IE10, I was able to do a system restore so that IE9 was back working again.

PS. Microsoft have issued a blocking 'fix' which one can download and install if you do not want IE10 to keep appearing in the 'important updates' page.

rdave13 12:37 30 Sep 13

Have a look in all programs, windows update then settings.

spuds 13:27 30 Sep 13

Thanks guys for the responses.

I follow them through later.

spuds 13:59 30 Sep 13
Answer

Hopefully done and dusted, with update to notify first. Having downloaded quite a number of updates this morning, there still appears to be 2 criticals that requiring downloading. One downloaded instantly, the other is taking its time!.

Aitchbee - I am using Firefox and Chrome on this machine. But will certainly look up the Internet Explorer remarks. Thanks.

Eventually I hope to get around to see a few YouTubes on Windows 7?.

Will tick resolved. Thanks again everyone.

Woolwell 14:09 30 Sep 13

I use IE10 without any problems on W7 and I suspect that any pitfalls, if they existed, have been resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…