using USB Win98 with vista C drive

WiltsMike 18:56 18 Oct 08

I have a Dell pc with a SATA drive running Vista. I have a Seagate external HD connected by usb on which i would like to be able to boot from to run Win98 for some old progs. i have a win98 disk and product key. i have tried booting from the disk and trying to set up the usb drive without success. i thought i would try putting the HD inside the pc but it is not a sata drive. any ideas how to do it? thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 18 Oct 08

I have a Seagate external HD connected by usb on which i would like to be able to boot from to run Win98 for some old progs

Not possible

Windows cannot be booted from an external drive. (XP can but it is very difficult to do)

woodchip 23:13 18 Oct 08

You will need to remove the main drive then fit the other one and load 98se onto it, after that refit the main drive and set the 98se to slave you can then download a Boot Manager to dual boot the OS. As above 98 will not work from ex-drive

WiltsMike 20:41 20 Oct 08

thanks for your responses. unfortunately the new HD is SATA and the old one isn't so they are not swappable. a bit irrelevant as it won't boot from usb! again, thanks for your advices

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…